AEI provided many elements for this Bowling Green, KY project that converted an existing interchange and designed a new one to facilitate the rapidly growing southeastern Bowling Green area including:
• Environmental Assessment (FONSI);
• Interchange Justification Study (IJS);
• Phase I and II Design for conversion of the existing partial cloverleaf to a full cloverleaf at Exit 20 on Interstate 65;
• Natcher Parkway extension to KY 622 (Plano Road);
• New Single Point Urban (SPUI) interchange at KY 622;
• Multiple services for the planned 1000 acre “Bluegrass Farms” private development that straddles the Natcher Parkway Extension.
Mainline alternatives were studied that would utilize the existing parkway bridges over I-65 or alternatives that would move the location of the interchange and provide new bridges. Maintenance of traffic was a primary concern for all alternates. The alternate for relocating the interchange required traffic to be maintained on the existing trumpet interchange, therefore, the existing ramps and bridges had to be incorporated into the maintenance of traffic plan. Of particular importance were the existing bridge piers that required additional merge and diverge analysis, as well as, weaving analysis to ensure proper traffic flow throughout construction. Phase II roadway and structural design also had to accommodate the widening of I-65 through the project area.
Click the media link below for a unique view of our project.